Advocacy_HomepaQ. My husband is 70 and paraplegic, due to an automobile accident at age 21. He coached at the local high school until retiring last year, but that all changed when he had a stroke last month. He is now in a skilled nursing facility for rehab from the stroke, but is being released before he has had an opportunity to fully recover from that episode.

The nursing home administrator has told me that they will be releasing my husband within the next week, because he is “not making sufficient progress toward recovery,” so Medicare will not continue to pay for his stay. I feel that part of the reason for the perceived lack of progress is because they have not been taking sufficient time to teach him new things, such as how to do independent transfers while using a slider board. He has only had about five opportunities to try transferring, which is not enough time to recover the strength and learn the skills needed for more independent transfers.

I have also asked them to teach him how to drive a power wheelchair, as one side of his body is weak, so he will not be able to push a manual chair. They won’t do that because his vision is also affected on that side, so they don’t think it would be safe. He used to drive a ramped minivan, and I plan to get it modified so I can drive with him as a passenger.

Do I have any recourse in order to extend my husband’s stay in “rehabilitation” long enough so that he can return home with some level of independence? Our